Bonsai tree lifts out of pot with the soil as a block.?

Postby dallen » March 1st, 2014, 9:31 pm

I bought a sageretia theezans (Chinese sweet plumb) bonsai tree from my local garden centre about 6 weeks ago. The leaves have now completely dried out and have now gone a kind of yellow colour despite watering as recommended for this species in my books. The thing that bothers me, I can grasp the trunk and very easily lift the whole thing out with the soil as a block. This dont seem right as i understand the tree should be firmly secure in the pot. Is repotting called for in such curcumstances? is there hope that I can get this thing to spring back to healthy growing? It is currently indoors on a humidity tray and I plan to put it outside as summer approaches.
dallen

Postby atworth » March 1st, 2014, 9:46 pm

Provided that it has not died, it is not likely to need repotting, because constraint of the roots is esential for constraining the branches. However, you could loosen up the soil boil. it seems that it is too compacted. You could also put in new compost. The soil needs to be aerated otherwise the roots drown.

Obviously the tree is not happy with your husbandry. Having checked that is not dead, and that can be quite tricky, scratching a shoot to see if it is green under the bark is the traditional way, but you do not really want to do that if you need not. The other thing to check for is pest and disease

The other thing to look for is the right type of compost particularly the pH. The condition of the soil. ie not too compact, not waterlogged. Sufficient nutrients. The yellowing may be caused by lack of nutrients. Maybe the shop had used exhausted compost. Even the location in which you kept may not have been suitable. It may have yellowed from lack of sufficient sunlight.
atworth

Postby levey86 » March 1st, 2014, 9:50 pm

To keep the small size of a Bonsai the roots have to be pruned as well as the top. It has not been done to your plant. You could do it and re-pot it and it might come back or you can return it and complain. By a book on Bonsai.
levey86

Postby scelftun73 » March 1st, 2014, 9:58 pm

Find your receipt and return it. It's not only root bound but it sounds like it's pretty much dead.
scelftun73

Return to Bonsai and Suiseki