If my bonsai tree has brittle, yellow, and underdeveloped leaves does that indicate under or over watering?

If my bonsai tree has brittle, yellow, and underdeveloped leaves does that indicate under or over watering?

Postby ralf » October 29th, 2011, 3:55 pm

If that's too little detail, what would be the most accurate way to diagnose the cause?
ralf

Postby carroll43 » October 29th, 2011, 4:16 pm

Most bonsais need little water a light misting once a week suffices, unless it is in a spot that gets a lot heat say from a stove or excess sunlight. To check if it is over watered, take an old cloth, wrap it tightly around your pot so as to prevent the soil and plant from dislodging and place it sideways on your dish drainboard to allow any excess water to drain off. If water starts dripping out right away you can believe its over watered. Leave it drain for an hour or so to get out all the excess. Then just let nature take its course and your plant should thrive. If there isn't excess water, try moving the plant to a different spot than where you had it as it may be getting too much or too little sun
carroll43

Postby heortwiella » October 29th, 2011, 4:23 pm

We need a little more information. Bonsai are created from many different kinds of plants. Some like lots of water, others much less.

Do you know what species it is?
Where is it growing? Indoors or out?
It may not be a watering problem. Have you checked for pests? (Such as spider mites and aphids?)

How long have you had it? If it is a recent purchase contact the person you bought it from and ask lots of questions.

Answers to these questions may help us give a more accurate assistance.
heortwiella

Postby mubarak37 » October 29th, 2011, 4:26 pm

Willow has the right answer if your bonsai is starting to drop leaves. You may want to test the soil medium for trace nutrients such as Iron, Potassium / Magnesium and Calcium. Potted plants many times lack these nutrients because of the seclusion from their mother soil.
mubarak37

Postby alhan » October 29th, 2011, 4:29 pm

This site will help.
There's a basic care section. Brittle leaves can mean it needs misting.
alhan

Return to Bonsai and Suiseki