Any tips on growing indoor herbs in glass jars?

Postby gwern » May 21st, 2012, 5:46 am

I want to grow some herbs on my window ledge for use in cooking, and I've heard about using open top glass jars as the pots. I'd be growing these from the seed and won't be moving them outdoors due to the abundance of cats that like to mark their territory everywhere.

Can any one give me some advice on what to do or look out for or problems that may arise?
I'm aware of drainage issues due to the lack of holes inside the jar - how can this be overcome? (Other than not over watering, of course!) I've seen sites discuss placing sand and pebbles at the bottom of the jar to create some form of artificial drainage, but would this be sufficient and if so, how best would this be achieved?
Or perhaps, would it just be more reasonable to use normal and standard pots?
Thanks!
gwern

Postby vonn73 » May 21st, 2012, 5:50 am

you can use pebbles for drainage
however you cannot grow in glass jars unless they are brown or green glass
daylight harms the roots
vonn73

Postby adamec » May 21st, 2012, 5:59 am

^ your first answer made good points.. you can also insert a drinking straw into the soil near the edge inside edge of your pot. Cut a 45 degree angle from the bottom of the straw, stick the straw in a pot and fill it with dirt, then your plant.. it's important to try to avoid sticking anything into the soil once the plant is developed because you run a higher risk of damaging the roots. Also, if you stick the straw into the soil, you will clog it, so put it in first.
adamec

Postby azarious » May 21st, 2012, 6:11 am

That is a big question. If you grow a lot herbs you may use a big container and LED grow light so you don't need to grow them on your window ledge .Then you can also grow vegetables.
azarious

Return to Herbs